Tuesday, July 26, 2005

3...2...1...Liftoff



Today was a momentous occasion for the U.S. space program as the shuttle Discovery had a smooth launch at 10:39 am for its return to flight after being grounded for over two years due to the Columbia tragety in February 2003. I attempted to watch the launch from our office rooftop, but our view was obstructed due to extensive cloud cover. All I could see was a portion of the trail through a small break in the clouds. It ws still quite exhilerating to watch the replay over an internet webcast on my computer. One of these days, I will actually go out to the Cape to see a launch. Not only will I be able to SEE it better, but I will also be able to HEAR it and FEEL it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome!!! All I can see from my office today is rain and lightning.

Anonymous said...

Very cool! I was wondering as I watched it how close you were to the action. It is definitely an amazing thing to watch, I can't imagine what it must feel like if your standing there watching it... they say the ground shakes, even 3 miles away!
Heidi

Mrs. Patterson said...

Grandma, grandpa, and I saw one while you were hard at work. We were too far for the ground to shake, but felt vibrations. I'll never forget it, but I did forget which ship it was. I'm going to ask Gramps.

Amy said...

I wasn't very close to the action. All you can see from Orlando, on a clear day, is a small light and the long contrail. The closest that any public civilian can get is about 10 miles. The media can get a little closer. It's still pretty cool, though. I should have gone with you guys that one day. There's no reason why I couldn't have taken the day off. I guess I have too good of a work ethic.