Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Culture Fair

Last night at Maddie's daycare, they had a Culture Fair Potluck Dinner. Each classroom was to bring a dish from a different country. The Young Todds had Greece. I wasn't that familiar with Greek cuisine, so I did a little research on the internet. Most of the food did not look very appetizing, was too time consuming, or just wasn't condusive for potluck. I chose to make a spinach pie. It was somewhat appetizing, it only had 4 ingredients, and would bake in 20 minutes. It was VERY easy to make: mix some spinach, feta cheese, and a little garlic. I did have to improvise a little. You were supposed to used this special greek pastry, but Pilsbury crescent roll dough works just as well. I was also supposed to have a top & bottom layer of dough (like a typical pie), but I dropped one of the dough containers a few days earlier (it rolled out of the refrigerator) and it popped open. So I only had enough dough (barely) for just a bottom layer. Then, the dough didn't bake in the time it was supposed to, so we were late to the dinner. But when it was all said and done, it went over really well. I only had to take home 3 small pieces. One teacher said that it was the best spinach pie she had ever had.

2 comments:

Pam said...

And what was the opinion of the sophisticated palates of the one-year olds to this diverse fare?

Mrs. Patterson said...

Did you taste it Chef Amos?