Friday, September 09, 2005

A Family Affair

I just spent the evening with my friend Jen and her family, her WHOLE family: grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins - The Schumacher Clan (as their fondly referred to at Trinity). Jen's uncle grilled hot dogs and hamburgers on the back patio. Her cousin (Amy*) showed us pictures of some of the animals from the shelter she volunteers at in Gainsville. We sat around talking and laughing. It was just like being with my own family. Jen & I have become really close over the past year or so. I think of her as a sister. We email practically every day and we see each other at least 4 out of the 7 days of the week. And to think, the only contact I have with my brothers is through this blog (if they even read it). And so, Jen has unofficially adopted me as a member of her family, which is great since I don't have any "biological" family down here. But don't worry, they could NEVER replace my family. While we were all laughing and joking around, one of her aunts thought that they might be scaring me off into thinking that their crazy or something. But I responed with, "well, you haven't met MY family." And no, I'm not saying that any of YOU are crazy or anything, but we all have our own little quirks. What would family gatherings be without Dad's tidiness, Mike's humor, Dale showing off his latest gadget, Amanda andMom as the unofficial photographer's, a few bottles of wine - courtesy of Sam, Joel stealing the spotlight, a game of Peaches, Peaches. I can't wait for Thanksgiving!!! Tonight did make me a little homesick, even though I had a wonderful visit from the folks just last weekend! Mom gave me a call tonight to tell me they were on their way to Chicago to see Mike & Sonia. They're just making the rounds.

*An interesting story is that when I first started going to Trinity, people would ask my name and I would say, "Amy." Many would then reply, "Oh, Amy Schumacher." Of course I'd say, "no, Kushnir." I hadn't been officially introduced to her until tonight, but had seen her at church a few times (she's a student at UF). I guess we look somewhat similar, about the same height, same hair color. So I guess if people mistake me for being part of that family, then it's meant to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Um, are you alive? I sure hope so.