Sunday, April 16, 2006

Sweet Home, Michigan

Yesterday, I flew in from the Sunshine State to find, much to my surprise, more sunshine! I would have hardly thought that I had left Florida had it not been for the lack of palm trees and blooming flowers. I had a very nice flight, though. I flew AirTran for the first time. It was actually quite nice. It wasn't full. In fact, I had a whole row to myself. The plane had XM radio in the armrests, and since no one was sitting next to me, I could easily switch between the Tiger game and another music station (in between innings and whenever I got frustrated with their losing). The digital display even showed the inning, outs, and the score (so I really didn't even need to listen). Mom & Gramps were there to pick me up.

I love coming home. I don't think I could begin to describe the comforting feeling I get when I walk in the door and drop off my luggage in my old bedroom. I can't believe Dad actually asked where I was planning on sleeping. There's NO way I would sleep anywhere but MY room. After getting settled in, Mom & I went up to the loft in the barn, which had just been cleaned out (see Persevere). I couldn't believe how clean it was. I did manage to go through some of my stuff though, and found a few of my architecture textbooks to take back with me. One such book is The Architect's Handbook of Professional Practice. Another book that I found wasn't a text book at all, but is vital to my career. It is the book which inspired me to become an architect. It was my FAVORITE book from my childhood. It is Need A House? Call Ms. Mouse! by George Mendoza. I loved this book. It was all about Henrietta Mouse, "an artist, a designer, a dreamer, a builder, a creator, all that and more. too." She designed homes for all her forest friends: a "spaceship" treehouse for the Squirrel, an underwater Atlantis for Trout, and a million-dollar mansion for Pig." But it was the illustrations by Doris Susan Smith that were truly captivating. I would look at this book for hours on end, then close my eyes and imagine myself living in any one of these houses.

2 comments:

Pam said...

I remember that book and had it on loan from you for a while. I remember many of my students pouring over the book like you did. I wonder how many of them will turn out to be architects also. I'm glad your home! Enjoy!

Mrs. Patterson said...

We've been throwing out a lot of stuff, but books are always safe, unless I give them away.