Monday, February 12, 2007

My Funny Valentine

For the first time ever (and hopefully not the last) I have a date for Valentine's. Bryan may not be the most romantic or be the most articulate at expressing his feelings, but last weekend he expressed those 3 special words that kind of sounds like "olive juice". Of course I had to ask him to repeat it because I truly didn't hear it. He sort of mumbled it as I was heading out the door. But either way it was still very special, and I of course returned said sentiment. Our plan for Valentine's Day is to go to an Orlando Magic basketball game (not against the Pistons). It's probably not what I would have had in mind, but he got 2 free tickets from someone at work. We'll most likely go out to dinner beforehand though (my choice, that is, if I can actually make a decision).

We did have a very romantic dinner Saturday night, though. Our youth group hosted a "Sweetheart Dinner" to raise money for the National Youth Gathering this summer. It turned out really nice. The fellowship hall was beautifully decorated. We had a harpist play. And Carmen was in charge of the food. We had Chicken Saltimbocca (which is spinach & parmesan cheese stuffed chicken cutlets). But it wouldn't have really mattered what the meal was. Whatever Carmen makes is delicious. Yes, the dinner was my idea (and I actually paid for it, too).

I'm not expecting any big extravagant gift or anything. I'm not expecting anything at all. He scoffs at all the jewelry commercials that they put so much pressure on men to buy their significant other an expensive gift to show how much they love them. I told him that I wasn't like that. Sure it might be nice, but I don't expect it. I don't even wear jewelry. I told him the only diamond I want (someday) will go on my left hand. But like I said, I'm not expecting anything, though a card, at least, would be nice. I will make him a card and I'm giving him a framed picture of the two of us.

But Bryan can be spontaniuosly romantic at times. Like last night at dinner, he placed what looked like just his wadded up drinking straw wrapper in front of me. I took one look at it and sarcasticly replied, "Oh thank you. I will cherish this forever." I've never seen his head sink so low. Of course I asked what was the matter. He picked up the wrapper and held it a certain way. It was shaped like a rose. Now I felt like a complete jerk. I gave him a big hug and a kiss and told him how sorry I was and that I really didn't see that it was a rose. I took it and carefully placed it in my purse. He asked what I was doing. I replied, "I told you I would cherish it forever. I'm keeping it safe so it won't get ruined." I love him very much. I hope to spend many more Valentine's Days together. And Christmases. And Thanksgivings. And Easters (yes, he has agreed to come to Chicago with me).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww!! I'm so happy for you, Amy! What a feel-good blog! :) I hope you guys have fun at dinner and the game!

Amanda

Mrs. Patterson said...

Now these are the kinds of blogs a mother likes to read. I hope he knows how lucky he is to have you for his Valentine. Olive juice you too.

Pam said...

Wow! Love is in the air! I love it! And I'm so happy for you! I don't like olives at all, but I'd drink it to hear news like this!

Amy said...

The whole "olive juice" thing is from the movie, "The Other Sister". This girl tells her sister that when she's standing accross the room from her boyfriend, she says "olive juice" because it looks like she's saying "I love you."

Anonymous said...

Me too! Yeah for the first hearts on Valentine's Day this year. I had an elaborate plan for an "indoor picnic" for Rob during his lunch hour in the back of our Land Rover, with sunset pictures all over the windows and set up with blanket and lunch cooler as a reminder of the beach sunset picnic we had in LA a few weeks ago that we both enjoyed a TON, but I've been too busy to get everything to pull it off (and the place I meant to order our favorite creamy tofu sauce from can't mail it because it requires refrigeration). I'll let you know what happens. Please keep me posted as to what you guys do! Saying "I love you" was huge for us, what does this mean in your relationship?
Becky Joy B.