Thursday, April 24, 2008

Tummy Troubles

Bryan & I went to a Royals game Tuesday night. I debated taking Madison with us. The weather was a lot nicer than last time. But we ultimately decided to leave Maddie with the folks. It was actually kind of nice to have the time to ourselves. The Royals were losing pretty bad, so we left halfway through the game. On a side note, while we were there we saw some friends from church (who did bring their 4-1/2 week old). When we got back to Bryan's parents' house, we came to pick up a naked baby. She had just had an explosive bowel movement and then threw up on her extra clothes. So we wrapped her up in just her jacket to take her home. Of course she ended up throwing up on that, too. I gave her a bath and changed her clothes, but she still continued to throw up. At one point she seemed to have trouble breathingfor a little while. Worried that she may have gotten vomit in her lungs or something, we took her to the emergency room. It may have been a hasty thing to do, but I didn't want to take my chances that something could have been seriously wrong. So at 10:30 at night, we drive to the hospital (good thing it's close by). As soon as the we walked in the door, the triage nurse looked at her and listened to her lungs. He said that her airways sounded clear, but I still wanted to have the doctor look at her. Two hours later, we finally get called to the back. Madison has already fallen asleep (lucky kid) after a couple more vomitting episodes. Although we're now in a room, we still have to wait (at least there's a bed). Finally the doctor comes in and looks at her and asks us questions about her symptoms. As it turns out, she's just got a little stomach bug. And as for the breathing troubles, he believes that she had just swallowed some of the vomit and it had caused her throat muscles to tense up for a moment. Once they had relaxed, she could breath fine. After 3 hours at the hospital we finally were able to go home. We picked up some Pedialyte on the way home. Bryan went straight to bed while I stayed up to clean up. Madison didn't sleep well either. She was hungry because she had thrown up everything she had eaten. I was worried about giving her too much to eat, so I only gave her half bottles. Of course that didn't satisfy her for very long, so she was up almost every hour. I kept her home from daycare. Besides, I desperately needed some sleep. Madison was fine the next day. She hadn't thrown up since we left the hospital. I really enjoyed spending the day with her. We had fun playing together. I've really missed that time together since I went back to work. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

1 comment:

Mrs. Patterson said...

Grammy's sweetie sems to have recovered nicely Thanks for posting the pic.