Thursday, April 21, 2005

I'm Not In The Country Anymore

Life in the city is sure different from back home. OK, so Orlando's not a HUGE city like Chicago, but compared to Waltz, Michigan, it's gigantic. On the way to work today, there were 2 police cars parked in front of a house near the corner of Mills & Virginia. There was a man standing next to one of the cars with his hands on the trunk. It looked like he was about to be arrested. Then on my way home, the cops were still there and they were wrapping the site in CAUTION tape. I tried watching the news tonight to see if they would report on what happened. Well, they didn't say anything. Instead, I heard all about how our mayor returned to work after being indicted on fraudulant election charges. I also heard about all the sex offeners that are living in the greater Orlando area. The only real "good news" was the weather forcast.

There are many advantages to urban life, though. One big one is that I'm so close to everything. I've been known to make atleast 3 trips to Target in the same day. When my family was here over Easter, mom was BBQing by the pool and realized that she needed some butter for the potatoes and garlic bread (which I didn't have). So I just said, "I'll run up to Publix and get some." I went there, got the butter (and a few other things as well) and came back all in about 20 minutes (maybe less). I am easily within walking distance of the mall, the movie theater, the grocery store and Target (if I really wanted to). In about a year, I'll be able to walk, or rollerblade, or ride a bike to work (I'm sure you're all placing bets on whether or not I'll actually do it). We'll see. It makes it a little difficult when it downpoars every afternoon/early evening during the summer months (if it's not raining, it's incredibly hot and humid - almost unbearable for a lengthly period of time, even in the early morning). I do have to say that I'll take Florida summers over Michigan winters anyday. Hooray for air conditioning :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been to three different Targets in one day simply because they were "one the way home." YES - (3) THREE on the way home. Don't get me started on Walmarts, there are just as many. The Targets outclass the Walmarts by far out West here though.

Okay that's all my comments for tonight I guess. Nothing substantial - just different.

Becky B.

Mrs. Patterson said...

Y'all know how much I enjoy visiting your place, and target has to be one of the top reasons. I love that store, and if I walk to it I get to shop but must limit my purchases because I have to carry them back. That's a good thing.

Mrs. Patterson said...

Oh yeah, your title made me think you were kidnapped and taken hostage to Cuba, and your only hope for rescue was to blog to us. Also, as a mom, a red flag goes up when you mention walking, rollerblading, riding bikes, and sex offenders in the same blog. Realistically, don't get paranoid just be smart. (like you usually are)

Anonymous said...

There she goes again--blogging about her beautiful weather, when here we are in Michigan on a spring Saturday morning with windy rain coming down and 3-8" of snow predicted on April 23rd!

That's ok, Amy--keep those blogs a-coming! I can deal with it! Love ya, Pam

Mrs. Patterson said...

Are you sure you didn't leave the country?