Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Easter In Chicago

This past weekend was quite a weekend. It started out really early Friday morning when we had to get up at 3am to make a 5:20am flight. We arrived at O'Hare airport around 9am and took the Blue Line into the city. We were able to check in early. After we dropped all our stuff off, we grabbed some lunch and then went to find a scarf for Bryan. Temperatures were in the low 30s and the wind didn't help either. We went to several stores but couldn't find a scarf anywhere. Everybody had all their spring and summer stuff out. My parent arrived while we were out shopping and they just happened to pack an extra scarf (along with my big heavy coat). With that, we headed back to the hotel and took a nap. Afterwords, we bundled up and trekked back outside to go to the Sears Tower. Bryan had never been to Chicago before (outside of the airport). That was the one thing he told me that he wanted to see. We picked the best day, too. Friday was fairly clear, but the rest of the weekend was mostly overcast. After the Sears Tower, we headed back to the hotel and finally met up with everyone to go to dinner. It was so nice to see everybody. Seth has gotten so big. My parents were ecstatic to finally meet Bryan. We've known each other for nearly 4 years and they have never met.

On Saturday, Bryan & I walked up and down Michigan Avenue, the Magnificant Mile. We walked all the way to the Water Tower and back. We ate lunch at the original Pizzaria Uno. Later in the afternoon, we all went out to Oak Park. Bryan & I went to see Frank Lloyd Wright's Home & Studio while everyone else went to see Amy & Adam King (Sam's friends from college). When we got to the house, though, we were too late for the last tour. We browsed the gift shop a bit (to get warm) before walking all the way back to town. When we got into town, we stopped in my favorite paper supply store. It was like being a kid in a candy store for me. I didn't buy anything, but I browsed for a lot of ideas and even signed up for their mailing list. Afterwards, we met back up with everyone and hopped back on the Green Line back to the city. We rested for a little bit before heading over to Mike & Sonia's place for dinner and to dye eggs.

Easter morning, we all met at the hotel's restaurant for their breakfast buffet before heading to church. After church we spend the rest of the day at Mike & Sonia's. We had a delicious Easter dinner. Bryan ended up cutting his finger while peeling potatoes during preparations.

For our last day, Bryan & I went to the Field Museum. We actually walked all the way there. After the museum, we started looking for a place to eat dinner. We happened upon this place called Miller's Pub (at Adams & Wabash). It was really good. I had stuffed cabbage (minus the cabbage), mixed veggies and mashed potatoes. Bryan had ribs. We shared a delicious apple pie for dessert. After dinner, we had to rush a bit back to the hotel and onto the Blue Line to the airport. We made it to the gate just as they were boarding. We ended up having a whole row to ourselves, so it was nice to be able to spread out a bit. We arrived at MCO shortly after midnight. It was such a nice getaway. I had been missing my family. I'm so glad that Bryan was able to come and meet them, finally. In 3 weeks, I get to meet his parents.

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures. I haven't had a chance to download them yet. I'll post them soon.

3 comments:

Mrs. Patterson said...

What a nice recap. I now remember what a pleasant time I had. Tell Bryan I'm sorry about his finger.

Heidi said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! I can't wait to see the pictures!

Anonymous said...

ahhh! it's happening! = )