Monday, September 27, 2004

An Extended Vacation

I made it home safe and sound friday afternoon. No problems. I got in around 2:30 and the wedding was at 4:30. I had just enough time to sit and relax for a moment and then get ready. The wedding was really nice. The ceremony was a bit entertaining. The priest (who had to be pushing 90) kept on messing up the bride's last name. He kept calling her Johnson instead of Jackson. Needless to say, it made what would have been a long, dull service, very interesting. The reception was nice as well. We partied until 11:30 (which is late for my parents - especially my dad). The good thing about Friday weddings (especially when your coming in from out of town) is that you have to take a day off of work and then you have the whole weekend to recover and relax. After we came home and everyone else went to bed, my mom and I stayed up until almost 2am talking. It's been a really long time since we've had one of these heart-to-heart, mother/daughter chats.

Saturday, Mom, Sonia, and I went to Greenfield Village while the men went golfing. We had a very interesting lunch at the Eagle Tavern. For those of you who have never been there, if you have less than 8 people in your party, you have to fill up a table with people you don't know. There were two other groups sitting at the table when we got there. On one side was a lady with her two young grandsons. On the other side, was this other lady and her friend. She was something else. We overheard her talk about her trip across Europe. Somewhere through the conversation, Michigan State came up. My mom chimed in with an, "Oh, I went to Michigan State". This just opened up a huge can of worms. This lady talked about how she was a representative for the Delta Zeta serority. She talked about how she meets with other representatives from other serorities and what they do. She was so proud about giving away 3 $500 scholarships this year. Neither my mom or I have been in a serority, but Sonia had, and guess which one. She kept going on and on about various things and when she finally stopped talking for a moment, my mom just got up and said, "OK, let's go." I really didn't do this story justice. You just would have had to be there.

Saturday night, we went to Pastor Tom Schroeder's church in Saline to hear a speaker talk about current missions in the LCMS. Afterwards we went over to Emily's house and I got to see her new baby, Sophia and I played blocks with Ella. Heidi & Scott also came over with Quinn and Avery. It's amazing how fast children grow. After that, I went over to Sam & Kristi's house. We were going to go to the movies but we rented a couple instead.

Now I come to the Extened Vacation part of my weekend. I was supposed to head back to Orlando sunday afternoon. But due to Hurricane Jeanne, the airport closed. So now, I got to spend a little extra time at home. I'm still here. The earliest flight I could get was for tomorrow morning. I have a 2 1/2 hour layover in New York and get into Orlando around 2:00.

Today has been a relaxing day so far. I got to sleep in and watch "The Price is Right". The weather here is beautiful. There's not a cloud in the sky. I almost don't want to go back.

No comments: