Friday, December 03, 2004

An Update Long Overdue

Ok, Ok. I hear you. So you want an update, huh? A.) I've been sick, and B.) I've been busy catching up on work that I missed during vacation (and being sick). Ok, here it goes:

Wed., Nov. 24
I arrived at the airport around 2:00 pm for my 4:20 pm flight. I wanted to get there early for fear that security would be busy. There was absolutely no line at security. I came to the conclusion that there were more tourists coming in than residents going out. Anywho, now the real travel adventure begins. First my plane arrived about a half-hour late. When it arrived, people got off, people got on, we left the gate and sat on the tarmack for about 45 minutes because Chicago Midway wouldn't let us take off due to the bad weather up there. No problem. I had a long layover anyways, so I didn't have to worry about missing a connection. Finally, we're able to take off. The skies were a little rough over Georgia due to some thunderstorms. The flight smoothed out, until it was time to land in Chicago. I looked out of the window at the heavily falling snow. The landing was really rough. Due to the high winds, the plane kept moving side to side, and up and down, skidded along the runway. It was one of the very few times I actually feared for my life on a plane. I arrived in Chicago around 7:30. My plane was originally scheduled to leave around 10:00pm, but when I checked the monitor's, it had been delayed 'til 11:00 (no real surprise there). The airport was packed with delayed holiday travelers, but the crowd gradually thinned as the hours passed. My flight was one of the last to leave. We took off around 11:30 for a quick up then down and touched down around 1:30 am (1 hour time difference). By the time we taxied to the gate, walked through the terminal, and finally got home, it was after 2:00 am (only 2 hours later than when I was supposed to get there).

Thurs., Nov. 25 - Turkey Day
"Give thanks to the Lord for He is Good, and His Mercy endureth forever."
I started off my thanksgiving day by sleeping in. Sam & Krisite and Grandpa came over for lunch. Mom deep fried a turkey. After lunch it was nap time/Lion's game/other tv watching (as we didn't enjoy watching the Lions losing). Then it was over to Uncle Ron & Aunt Diane's for dinner. Dinner was delicious. There was so much food. Mike & Sonia joined us in time for dessert. Later we went to the movies to see, "Christmas With the Kranks." It was alright. Not my favorite movie by far, but not too bad either.

Fri., Nov. 26
Slept in (I love vacation)! Mom, Sonia, Kristie, her sister Becky, and I went to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn. We ate lunch at the Michigan Cafe and walked around for a while. For dinner, Mom & Dad, Mike & Sonia, and I went to La Fiesta. After dinner, we drove the few extra miles to Toledo to do a little shopping (although I don't think anyone bought anything).

Sat., Nov. 27
Sonia & I got our hair highlighted and cut at Marshall Field's in Southland Mall. Later we all drove accross the Ambassedor Bridge to Canada for dinner. Here was another small adventure. First, we had a little trouble getting accross the border. None of us had our birth certificates or passports (we didn't know we needed them). Then they asked for voter registration cards. Only Mike, Sonia, and I had them (thanks to it being an election year). The lady said there was no way that we could go to dinner if we all didn't have one of the 3 pieces of identification (but she let us go anyways). We planned on going to the Little Italy section of Windsor for dinner. Once we actually found it, nothing was open (this was to be an early dinner). Therefore we decided to go to this Irish pub that my parents had been to on the waterfront. It was very good food. We decided to take the tunnel back to Detroit and the United States. We didn't have trouble getting back in our home country, but the Homeland Security guy did ask about Sonia's birthplace. She answered correctly. We took a stroll through the streets of Detroit. Mom wanted to see the Christmas tree and ice skating rink in the new Campus Martius part of town. Someone had said that the rink was to be bigger than the one at Rockefeller Center in NYC (not the case - not even close).

Sun., Nov. 28
Went to church at St. John's. After church, Sam & Kristie came over for lunch (sloppy joe's). Mike and Sonia left for the airport around 2:00. Later that evening, Mom, Dad, and I went to good ol' MONroe. Went to Frenchtown Mall and to the movies. We saw "The Incredibles." Yes, this was the second time that I saw it, but I love that movie. I think it was better the second time. My parents were just, "it was good." After the movie, we stopped at Ron & Diane's because mom had left her glasses there on Thanksgiving.

Mon., Nov. 29
Left for the airport at 5:30 am. My flight was quite uneventful (just the way I like it). Everything was on time. I arrived back in Orlando around noon. I spent the afternoon (since I had the whole day off work) getting out all my Christmas decorations. I was doing fine until about 7:00 that night. All of a sudden I got really tired (I thought it was just because I had been up so early). Then I got sick to my stomach. I was throwing up all night (until about 2 am). I thought it might have been food poisoning (I had some Chinese food for lunch). My stomach eventually settled down (and there was nothing left to come up).

Tue., Nov. 30
I debated whether or not to go into work this day. I was feeling really weak. I had no energy. Everytime I stood up, I started to feel dizzy. But I had already taken off work for vacation and knew that I would have a lot of work to do. I eventually decided to go in, but after being there for only a couple hours (and I wasn't getting any work done) I thought it best to just go home. When I got home, I crashed in my bed. I took my temperature and had a fever of 102! You don't get a fever with food poisoning so it must have been some sort of bug. Later in the evening I started to feel a bit better. My fever went down and I was able to get out of bed and walk around a bit. I called my mom. Before I could even get out a hello, she asked if I was sick. I thought she must had been psychic. Apparently I wasn't the only one who had been sick. Mom & Mike were also sick.

Wed., Dec. 1
I went in to work, not 100%, but better than Tuesday. I was actually able to get some work done. Wednesday night included an Advent service and choir practice.

Now it is finally the weekend. Yay! I'm definitely taking it easy this weekend as I am still recovering.

Oh, one other highlight of the week is that I received a bonus check for about $160!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was a lovely update! You have such a good memory to recall all the events of those days in such vivid detail. Glad you're on the road to recovery! And, it was very nice to see you for Thanksgiving! Oh, and Sonia's birthplace...? U.S.?