Tuesday, March 15, 2005

This Is The Day The Lord Has Made...

Let us reJOYce and be glad in it!

As I read through everyone else's blogs this morning (it's part of my daily routine), I realized that I am not the first to comment on today being the anniversary of Grandma's Ultimate Homecoming. Just from what everyone else has written about her, one can easily gather just how special she was. I, too, would like to add my own thoughts and memories.

Being so far away from family is hard enough as it is, especially when it's a family that is as close knit as ours. But not being near loved ones during the last moments of there earthly lives is even harder. I remember that day, two years ago today, when it was Grandma's last day. I had spent the day at Universal Studios. It was during their Mardi Gras celebration and there was going to be a parade and a concert in the evening. I remember trying to call home all day, just to brag about the weather and such, but I found it odd that no one was home all day. I noticed that I had several voicemail messages, but I had just gotten my cell phone and wasn't quite sure how to retrieve the messages. Finally, I decided to call my mom's cell phone, she was next door and that's when I received the news. I knew this day was coming, but no matter how hard you try to prepare yourself, you're never ready. I was speechless. I didn't know what to do next. Should I stay (I had been really looking forward to seeing the Hootie and the Blowfish concert) or should I go (and start looking for a flight home ASAP). Mom, told me to stay and enjoy the concert, "that's what Grandma would have wanted," and she would look for a flight for me. As soon as I got off the phone, I broke down in tears. I knew that I should be happy because she was in heaven (I had no doubts about her faith) but I was still sad that I couldn't say goodbye and I would miss her. I don't think I ever felt so alone in a sea of people. When some people saw me crying, they asked what was wrong, and I told them that my grandmother had just passed away. I remember them responding with, "is there anything I can do?" I found this somewhat odd because, really, what could they do. But I know they were just trying to be sypathetic. The concert started and the band played all their hit songs, but only one stood out to me. I was actually thinking about leaving at the time, when they started to play "Old Man & Me." I couldn't quite understand much of the lyrics, but there was a line in the chorus which stated, "I wonder who will walk with me when I get to Heaven." It got me thinking about who Grandma was walking with. Maybe it would be her brother, who was killed during WWII. Perhaps she would be reuinted with Connie. But I know one thing for sure, she is walking side by side with her Lord and Savior.

Today, as I wear her wedding ring on a chain around my neck and close to my heart, I am reminded of all the good times we've had over the 24 years we spent together. I feel so fortunate to have lived right next door so I could visit whenever I wanted. I remember the games she would teach me to play - euchre and Michigan rummy. I remember her singing "Mockingbird" and "Grandma will be your Momma, til your Momma comes home" when she would babysit me. I remeber her calling me her "little rosebud." I remember the special drawer in the pantry which was reserved especially for red licorice. I remeber helping her put all the church's offering envelopes in numerical order. I remember watching her cross-stitch and then teaching me how to do it. I remeber how she would give me a new nutcracker every Christmas to add to my collection. I remember our summer vacations at the Big Fish Inn in Ellsworth - playing euchre, going into Charlevoix and shopping at Ben Franklin's, walking on the beach at Norwood looking for Petoskey stones and watching the sunset. So many memories, but most importantly, I remember her teaching me about the love of Jesus Christ.

Today, nor any other day, is not a day to be sad. Yes, we will miss Ella Agnes (Rademacher) Cook. I admit that I shed a tear or two while writing this. But she is celebrating at the Banquet in the Sky. We, too, must celebrate with her, and wilth all of our loved ones who have passed on. For their life hasn't ended, but is just beginning and will continue forever and ever into eternity.

3 comments:

Mrs. Patterson said...

It's somewhat of a miracle that today I am able to post and comment from the school's computer. It's also cool that Aunt Diane sent me a rose, and the first thing I remembered is how she called you her "little rosebud". Thankyou for the love flowing through your blog. I miss you today, as I did two years ago today, yet still feel close. See you soon for another celebration.

Anonymous said...

"Grandma will be your Momma, til your Momma comes home"

I can hear her singing that; she was wonderful. Thanks for the post, it made me smile (and cry, of course!).

Anonymous said...

I've been reminiscing and shedding tears with all of you, too. I miss her, too! What a special lady-- my second Mom! Thanks for letting me share in all your memories! Pam